The Trust met club representatives and their guests on Friday 3rd May. The meeting came at the request of the football club. We went to the meeting with an open mind and that it would not answer all of the questions that we originally raised at the fans meeting on March 23rd. Once the club have approved minutes of the meeting, we will release them. This is likely to be early next week.
We now have had time to reflect on the meeting fully and what it means to achieving the six principles that we set out to the club which were:
- Transparency and openness – we expect frequent and formal engagement with Trust Oldham and fans.
- A clear plan – an outline of what you seek to achieve and by what means over the short, medium and long term. This should include clear and measurable objectives.
- Trust and integrity – we want our owner and the Board of Directors to act in a way which builds trust in the ownership and management of the club and a sense that it is in safe hands.
- Delegation of control and authority at the club.
- Fulfilment of legal and financial obligations.
- Establishment of an operational Board of Directors.
The Trust were given verbal assurances on the following with timescales:
- The club will engage the Trust through regular meaningful dialogue in a meeting with the whole of the board of the club and Trust Oldham. Date and frequency to be set for this (potentially annually).
- A board of directors will be formed for the club in the immediate future – including appointment of Darren Ratcliffe to the board on behalf of the Trust. The initial paperwork is now completed.
- A meeting will take place this afternoon between club and Trust Rep to start setting out roles, duties and expectations between the club and Trust on their involvement.
- That the Trust Rep to the board will get their full entitlement. This includes access to the club’s finances and regular updates on the financial health of the club.
Where do we go from here?
The meeting did not address all the concerns raised, but it is a start. A dialogue with the owner of our football club has been put in place, which was the minimum fans wanted and a route to influence, hold to account and monitor progress.
As a Trust, are we reassured? Whilst we received verbal assurances and timescales, we remain vigilant and will report back progress as and when it is made. We will keep Supporters Direct updated of our situation as they monitor and report back to the EFL.
We understand fans may have questions going forward and although we don’t have all the answers, we are here to listen so we are holding a fan drop in for one hour before our Trust Directors meeting. Details are:
Monday 13th May 2019 at the 02 Walkers electrical suite. Boundary Park
Start Time 6.30pm – 7.30pm finish.
There are restrictions with regards to room size so we are asking fans to book online.
It’s a chance for you to out find more about the Trust and the volunteers and maybe how to get involved.
We will look at holding more fan meetings over Summer, different days of the week, and times right up to the Trust AGM which will be about July time.